Monday, November 24, 2008

Chores

I have been stewing for the past couple of months about how to get Caleb to pitch in a little better and to restrict his computer and video game time as well as the time he spends watching movies. He can be such a stinker about helping around the house or even doing what he is told. I have come up with a system that we have been using for about three weeks now, and it is going awesome so I thought I would share. He can choose whatever "chores" or responsibilities he wants to do. For example, in the morning I ask if he wants to make his bed or if he wants me to. If he does it he gets a bead if I do it he does not. I divvy out beads once a day in the afternoon for the past 24 hours or so. I was going to use the system for Cara too, but she doesn't need the structure as much as Caleb does and she doesn't seem to get it. Following is the list of ways that he can earn beads:

Morning:
Dry Under-Ware
Dressed by Self (Happily)
Make Bed
Fix Hair without Crying (Cara)
Brush Teeth

Evening:
Set Table
Eat all food on Plate
Brush Teeth
Reverent during Scripture Study and Prayers
Stay in Bed

Any Time Chores:
Get mail
Pick up Toys
Vacuum Stairs
Clear the Table
Empty Dishwasher
Put folded cloths away (Monday)
Take out Garbage (Tuesday)

Enrichment:
Reading Lesson
Practice Writing (1 Page = 1 bead)
Practice Piano (ten minutes = 1 bead)

I especially encourage the enrichment activities. He is making great progress learning Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the piano. Of course I have to sit right by him and help him to practice, but I found a good Preschool Piano curricumim online called Piano for Preschoolers. For his reading lesson I am using the book Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It isn't so easy, but I would recommend the book if you are wondering where to get started teaching your preschooler to read.

In exchange for beads Caleb gets privileges. Following are a list of rewards he can earn:

15 minutes of TV = one bead
1 Movie = 5 beads
15 minutes of Video or Computer Games = one bead
Invite Friend Over/Go to Friends = 5 beads
$1 = 10 beads

This system is helping me to be a more accountable mom and him to be a more productive kid. It is great!

1 comment:

Kar said...

Wow, Carrie! What a great idea! I chuckled about the "happily putting on own clothes" and "not crying when getting hair done." Sounds like my life!!