Thursday, September 4, 2008

Montana Road Trips

This summer we have had the opportunity to go to weddings in Montana for cousins on both sides of Josh's family. Josh has just six cousins on the Kirk side and five cousins on the Lee side of his family so big events like weddings don't come around often. Even though I am extremely pregnant and uncomfortable we decided to make the long trip to Helena Montana in July and to Billings Montana in August. Annie and Jessica both had beautiful weddings, and it was wonderful to see family. The best part was for Great Grandma Alice and Great Grandpa Arnold and Grandma Betty to see the kids. They and Ethan, Josh's sister April's boy, are their only Great Grand Children on either side of the family.

This is Betty and Arnold (Josh's Mom's Parents) with the Great Grands. Sadly this is the first time they have met Cara. I think it was about time!



Here is a picture of the kids with Grandma Alice (Josh's Dad's Mom). It was her first time to see Cara too, and I don't think she had seen Caleb sense he was a new born. I guess there are no longer any questions why we couldn't miss the weddings this summer.



There was a beautiful pond at Jessica's wedding. Cara and Ethen, had a great time playing at the side of the pond. Caleb disappeared for the evening as he found some cute flower girl to play with.



The Kirks even got a family picture. We are pictured from left to right Carrie, Josh, Gabe, Christina, Sara, April and on the front, Caleb, Lonn, Sharon, Ethen, and Cara.



We made the trip to Billings a four day weekend over Labor Day. One highlight for Caleb was riding the horses at Doug and Kathy's (Josh's uncle). They have a therapeutic riding program for children with disabilities in Billings. My kids have never been so safe riding horses. They loved all of the attention.



On the way home we detoured through Bear Tooth Pass one of the top 10 most scenic drives in America and ended up on top of the world.



We spent a night in Yellowstone. The kids loved seeing the the wildlife.



Caleb was terrified of the geysers and bubbling pools and kept his distance from the water falls as well. Of course he talks like he was brave, but he sure gets scared.



The weather was chili, but we had a good time.



Of course we cut through Jackson on our senic drive home and had to stop for the classic picture at the elk horn arches.



It was nice to get my swolen ankles home, but it was also great to spend some quality time as a family. The kids were so cute and fun. Cara would cover her head with her blanket and sing herself to sleep when she was ready for a car nap. If she didn't have a big brother who tackles her I don't think she would ever cry. She is such a happy person and brings me more joy than I could imagine. Caleb almost talked our ears off for all of those hours in the car. He has so many questions and observations. He loves to talk to strangers and wont stop until I make him. It is wonderful to have Josh's help and suport. I am so grateful for my family!

4 comments:

Kar said...

Hey, Care, I lost your blog for awhile! I changed my template and lost all my blogs, and I kept forgetting to e-mail you to ask what your blog address is, but luckily, you commented on mine recently, so I found you again! Ah, I love Montana. I'm glad you got to go, and glad Josh's grandparents got to meet their great-grandkids. P.S. You look fabulous, and I love your shirt.

The Ravsten's said...

Sounds like a great time. What a wonderful adventure for all of you. And only a month left until the baby comes. Yeah! So exciting. I hope you are well. Talk to you soon. Love ya.

Diane said...

Carrie, you look great! And very brave to make the trip. I'm sure everyone was excited that you chose to go. Especially with your kids. They're adorable!

Jill said...

Carrie
Congrats on Andy baby! He is so cute, and you looked AMAZING. Your family is adorable. I am sad that you came to my neck of the woods and I didn't get to connect with you. Jack and I finally sold our house in Billings at the end of June and now live 1 1/2 hours south in Lovell, WY. If you are ever traveling our way again give a shout! I'd love to visit with you our host you for a night.